Unlike other cross-platform frameworks, React Native does not use web views. React Native application code looks very similar to React; however, each component in a React Native application is a wrapper around a native component. Some components, such as
<Text> components, work across iOS and Android while other components are OS specific. React includes a set of core components which include a basic set of cross-platform components that translate to the corresponding native iOS and Android components. Additional components can be installed from 3rd party packages, or developed locally.
Learning React Native
Here's a set of learning resources that, together, provide a complete resource for learning React Native:
- React Native: Getting Started covers the basics of building an environment and writing a cross-platform application for iOS and Android.
- React Native Core Components and APIs covers the components and APIs included with React Native, in depth.
- React Native Architecture provides details of React Native's internals
- React Native Testing Library covers test automation for React Native applications
- React Native Crash Course will walk you through a full, cross-platform mobile app build from start to finish
- CodePush: Getting Started shows how to deploy app updates without always having to push new versions to the App Store and Play Store using CodePush.
Popular React Native components and libraries
The React Native Directory contains components and libraries that have been vetted by the React Native Community and is the best place to start when trying to find a component or library for use in a React Native application.
Some of the most popular components and libraries include:
react-native-vision-cameraprovides access to the devices camera and allows photo, video, and snapshot capture.
react-native-fingerprint-scanner] supports authentication through the device's Touch ID and Face ID features
react-native-videosupports streaming video
react-navigationprovides routing and navigation
React Native resources
Broader Topics Related to React Native
The language of the web until WASM takes over